How Do I Format a Memory Card? (EOS 5D Mark IV)
Last Updated : 08-Jul-2016
Issue Number : 8203021400
If the card is new or was previously formatted by another camera or computer, format the card with this camera.
When the card is formatted, all images and data on the card will be erased. Even protected images will be erased, so make sure there is nothing you need to keep. If necessary, transfer the images and data to a computer, etc., before formatting the card.
1. Set the camera’s power switch to < ON >.
2. Press the < MENU > button to display the menu.
3. Press the <
> button, turn the <
> dial and select the [
4. Turn the <
> dial to select [Format card], then press <
5. Select the card.
Turn the <
> dial to select the desired card, then press <
: CF card /
: SD card
6. Turn the <
> dial to select [OK], then press <
- The card will be formatted.
- When [ ] is selected, low-level formatting is possible.
For low-level formatting, press the <
> button to add a checkmar [
] to [Low level format], then select < OK >.
- Perform low-level formatting if the SD card’s reading or writing speed seems slow or if you want to totally erase the data on the card.
- Since low-level formatting will erase all recordable sectors on the SD card, the formatting will take longer than normal formatting.
- You can stop the low-level formatting by selecting [Cancel]. Even in this case, normal formatting will be completed and you can use the SD card as usual.
- CF cards up to 128 GB in capacity and SD/SDHC cards will be formatted in FAT32. CF cards exceeding 128 GB and SDXC cards will be formatted in exFAT. When shooting a movie with a card formatted in exFAT, the movie will be recorded in a single file (instead of being split into multiple files) even if it exceeds 4 GB. (The movie file will exceed 4 GB.)
- If you format a CF card exceeding 128 GB or SDXC card with this camera and then insert it into another camera, an error may be displayed and the card may become unusable. Certain computer operating systems or card readers may not recognize a card formatted in exFAT.
- When the card is formatted or data is erased, only the file management information is changed. The actual data is not completely erased. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the card. When discarding the card, perform low-level formatting or destroy the card physically to prevent personal data from being leaked.
- The card capacity displayed on the card format screen may be smaller than the capacity indicated on the card.
- This device incorporates exFAT technology licensed from Microsoft.